1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Cokie Roberts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Damn. I always liked her level-headed reporting and election commentary.

I was a faithful Peter Jennings watcher, too, before he smoked himself to death.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Agreed - she was a great counterweight to Donaldson on This Week with Brinkley. She was also very much part of the DC establishment and I imagine she sat on more stories than she broke.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Rest in power, Ms. Roberts. (I felt funny "liking" your post, @Regan MacNeil . It's sad news. Still, I appreciate your post.)

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'll miss her a lot. I watched This Week with David Brinkley, Cokey, Sam Donaldson, and George Will religiously, and in general felt well rewarded for doing so. I particularly liked it when they took off their reporter hats and just talked politics as a panel at the end. There are a lot of shows now who use their old format, but very few who bring as much value and shrewd analysis. Throw in her NPR gig, particularly after she had her little home studio. From time to time you'd hear her little dog when she was on the air, and I found that kind of charming.

RIP Cokey. You were a good one.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Now that's a reporter who covered some amazing things over his many years. Rest well.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The Peggy Olsen of political reporting. I mean this in the highest level of respect.

Draft saved Draft deleted