1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP CNBC's curmudgeon, Mark Haines...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 25, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...damn, he was entertaining, a bit of a throwback, even if his political ideas were right of Genghis.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Holy fuck. That's shocking.

I haven't watched a lot (any) CNBC in the last couple of years, but I've always enjoyed Mark's work.

He regularly appeared on Morning Joe and seemed like a good guy.
  3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

The planes flew into the WTC during his show. He stayed in the anchor seat for several hours and was the consummate professional.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

RIP. Enjoyed his stuff and he had a quick wit.
  5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Active Member

Watched him pretty much every morning — actually, I was watching because of Erin Burnett, but ... :)

He was perfect for that network, and for that morning show. I was stunned this morning when I saw he had passed away. RIP, indeed.
  6. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Damn, I loved watching him in the morning a few years ago when I started to really take an interest in investing.

It was one of the signs that I had matured. I was watching CNBC in the mornings with Haines, "Hair Force One" Joe Kernen, and David Faber on the old Squawk Box show instead of "Sportscenter."

I loved Haines' wit and dry sense of humor.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

His colleagues were just talking about how they had to build an 8-minute break into Squawk so that he could "go down on the street and have a cigarette break with the traders."

His colleagues thought that was great. Needless to say, they probably wouldn't be doing wall-to-wall tributes to a 65 year old man had he not smoked.
  8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Another Providence-to-NBC in New York success story. He was the Channel 12 anchor in the '70s, along with his ex-wife (although it was, and is again, a CBS affiliate).
    What a month for CNBC...the Curmudgeon and the International Superstar (as Scarborough always introduced Erin Burnett) both gone.
  9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Liked him a lot and disliked him on occasion, too. For the most part, I could trust him to be a straight shooter and not feed me a line of BS.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Exactly, TFR.

That was the beauty of Haines, who I didn't get to see a lot of, living on the West Coast.

But what I did see, combined with reading about him in Howard Kurtz's "The Fortune Tellers" displayed a man who cared passionately about holding business majordomos accountable and sparing all of us the colossal doses of BS they are wont to heap upon us. He hated corporate doublespeak.

RIP to the conscience of that network.
Draft saved Draft deleted