1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Cliff Branch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Something tells me he now gets one of those 10 Senior Centennial spots.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

His rep was that he was "the burner", the deep threat, while Biletnikoff was the possession guy. Branch had a great pair of hands, and I'd argue never played with a QB with a huge arm.

garrow likes this.
  3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Didn’t his career begin with Lamonica?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Lamonica had pretty much been replaced by Stabler when Branch came up. Plunkett did have a reasonably strong arm.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Speed kills. #RIP21

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Absolutely should be in the Hall of Fame. Maybe he’ll finally get in posthumously like Stabler.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Even as a Steelers fan, I think it's a injustice that he was not inducted before John Stallworth. Swann had the greater heights and arguably deserved induction before Branch. But Branch was the one consistent offensive weapon on three Super Bowl winning teams. He should have been in Canton a long time ago.

8. I dunno about all that.
    He had a couple of really good years and a lot of sub-par years.
    Hall of Pretty Good for sure.

He'll probably get in though. The HOF - all of them - are jokes anymore.

9. CD Boogie

You could say the same about Art Monk, John Stallworth, Lynn Swann, Charlie Joiner and Fred Bilitnikoff.

Branch was a three-time All Pro, or as many times as Calvin Johnson, Raymond Berry and, uh, Herman Moore :)

He obviously didn't have the peaks of Johnson or Berry, but he's definitely worthy of hanging with that first line of guys. Monk, Stallworth, Swann and Joiner all made All-Pro one time, while Bilitnikoff made it twice and of course had the Super Bowl MVP.

10. Della9250

When Branch retired, he was 9th in yards, 14th in catches, 15th in TD catches.

11. CD Boogie

Contextually, I'm not sure that's fair, since his career spanned from the little pass era all the way to 1985. Can you screen grab the guys who were ahead of him in TD catches?

Measured against his contemporaries -- he made the all-1970s team, after all -- he doesn't come up short.

BTW, where can you find those rankings for when guys retired? That a Pro-Football-Reference paid thing? Be cool to search around that.

Also, when he retired he was the all-time leader in playoff receptions and is still ranked 10th.

NFL Receptions Career Playoffs Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com

12. Della9250

I don't know if you can find them -- I just did it "manually"

On the TD list when Branch retired, he was actually tied for 13th. this was the list, in order.

Hutson 99
    Maynard 88
    Alworth 85
    Warfield 85
    McDonald 84
    Powell 81
    Carmichael 79
    Largent 78
    Biletnikoff 76
    Hayes 71
    Collins 70
    Berry 68
    Branch 67, tied with Nat Moore to that point.

Draft saved Draft deleted