1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Clem Labine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by casty33, Mar 2, 2007.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Another member of the Brooklyn Dodgers, the team of my youth, has died. Clem Labine passed away yesterday at the age of 80. RIP to a quality right-handed reliever who could also start once in awhile.

To the best of my knowledge, this leaves only four members of the '55 Dodgers still living -- Duke Snider, Carl Erskine, George Shuba and Johnny Podres. Am I missing anyone?

2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I can't believe it but I forgot Don Newcombe, who is alive and well. So that's five members of the '55 Dodgers left, unless I was stupid again and left out somebody else.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Koufax also. Only pitched in a few games, but he was on the 1955 team. He was 19.

4. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Ragu, you're right about Koufax making his debut in '55, but if I'm not mistaken, he was not with them for the World Series.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I believe you're right (before my time, but I love the history)... Zimmer was on the 1955 team, too, and I am pretty sure he played in the WS.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Lasorda was also on the '55 team, pitching four games. However, he was not on the WS roster.

Roger Craig pitched 21 games (and 6.0 IP in the Series, winning Game 5) for the '55 Bums; he's alive.

Pitcher Ed Roebuck does not have a death date listed on baseball-reference.com; he pitched 2.0 IP in the Series.

Pitcher Billy Loes does not have a death date listed, either; he pitched 3.2 IP in the Series.

7. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Good call on Zimmer. He was on the World Series team. In fact, he always joked that he helped win it for the Dodgers because he was the player removed from the game -- he started at 2B, I believe -- when Alston put in Sandy Amoros in left field and moved Gilliam to 2B. Amoros, of course, made that catch on Berra's drive that probably saved the game for Brooklyn.

Draft saved Draft deleted