1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Chuck Tanner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Feb 11, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I thought he'd died years ago...

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Dick Allen's favorite hand-holder and butt-patter of all time.

Was in the first row when Allen hit a horizontal home-run bullet for Chuck in the first-inning of a late-season game at the old park in Kansas City, that year. Bad news travels fast.

RIP.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110211&content_id=16623218&vkey=news_pit&c_id=pit

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

He was the first (and, I think the only) major-league manager I ever interviewed. The big-league Braves had played an end-of-spring-training exhibition against one of their farm clubs. I remember him sitting there gnawing on a fried chicken thigh and talking about how good they were going to go that year. Boy, was he upbeat.

I wasn't there, but I heard a tape of him blowing up at an Atlanta reporter (I think it was Gerry Fraley) once. He screamed at him that (rough paraphrase) "You're not bringing that negative shit in here!"

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Sounds like Fraley.

Draft saved Draft deleted