1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Chuck Tanner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Former White Sox, A's, Pirates and Braves manager has died at 81 after several years of poor health.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/11/chuck-tanner-1929-2011/

[​IMG]

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

A guy who always thought he had a good club.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Tanner had one of my favorite quotes of all time. When asked if his aunt who had just won the lottery was his favorite, he replied, "She is now".

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Damn. RIP to one of the most relentessly positive people I've ever met.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

R.I.P. to a man who treated players as adults and took being stuck with Jason Thompson and George Hendrick with class

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Was the manager of some truly terrible Braves teams of my youth. RIP, Chuck.

7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

What a shame. Seemed like a genuine guy who gave his all. Glad he got to capture one title after being in the league for so long. I think his mother died during the '79 WS, too.

I enjoyed that 'We Are Family' team.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

What the story linked above doesn't mention --- but what I always found interesting --- was that Tanner was the first manager in major-league history to be traded for a player, when Charlie Finley dealt him from the A's to the Pirates for catcher Manny Sanguillen prior to the 1977 season.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Tanner might have been the only guy capable of handling, and getting that MVP season, out of Dick Allen in 1972 with the Chicago White Sox. RIP.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

RIP, Chuck. Just another reminder of how long it's been since the Bucs have been relevant.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I remember he had a reputation of being positive to a fault.

Don't remember who said it, but my favorite quote about him was "If he was the captain of the Titanic, he'd be telling all the passengers 'Don't worry, folks, we're just stopping off to get a little ice and we'll be on our way.'"

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

RIP

Thanks for 1979.

Draft saved Draft deleted