1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Chuck Muncie

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, May 14, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Great running back for the Saints in the late 70s & Chargers in the early 80s. Probably should have won the Heisman over Archie Griffin in 1975.

Had a heart attack, per Adam Schefter on Twitter.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

RIP. That sucks. Loved watching him run.

3. I have a couple of his football cards.
    I remember the beard and glasses.

[​IMG]

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

One of my first fantasy football studs. RIP.

5. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I have a Chuck Muncie autographed football because he was a banger. I have Muncie, Sam Cunningham, Earl Campbell and Larry Kinnebrew. Sad part is, with the new rules the NFL put in place about the crown of the helmet for this season, all of these guys would have had marginal careers (except, maybe, Campbell). And Kinnebrew, of course, who had a marginal career anyway.

Muncie was one of my heroes when I was a kid. Shame he passed so young.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Might have smoked the most marijuana of any person in Berkeley in the 1970s.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

He had turned himself around since the days when teammate Don Reese called him out in SI for having to be Superman for performing so well while snorting so much coke.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/dec/01/sports/sp-crowe1

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What I first thought of is the bizarre story of Muncie testifying before a
    San Diego grand jury that Dan Fouts was shot in the arm by an irate
    husband.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1136588/1/index.htm

Also thought of the story of Muncie leaving his dogs unattended in his San Diego
    mansion for months.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Here's video of Muncie running in a wild game vs. the Giants at the Meadowlands in 1983:

Archie Manning has always blamed cocaine use by Muncie — and many others — for the Saints going 1-15 in 1980. They traded Muncie to San Diego at mid-season ... and then drafted George Rogers, who was even more of a snow-blower.

Of course everyone with money in those days was on cocaine ...

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm at the point where I'm almost relieved when one of these deaths is from natural causes and not another suicide...

RIP... I watched him run over some pretty good Raiders teams in the early 80s. I remember him being really tall for a back...

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP. Muncie was pretty damn good.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Was he a better person too?

Draft saved Draft deleted