1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Chuck Daly

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rufino, Apr 20, 2009.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

wow. RIP.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Tailoring covers your sins" ... I like that.

3. RIP to one of the greatest coaches in the history of the league

4. topsheep

topsheep Member

Those championship Pistons under Daly teams were ballbusters.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I remember thinking he was going to win a championship with New Jersey when they hired him. What a great coach.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

My dealings with Chuck Daly go back to his days at the University of Pennsylvania and his first pro coaching stint with the Philadelphia 76ers. Always had time for you and was easily the best dressed coach I've been around and he didn't look like a pimp on the sidelines.
    I am saddened that he is gone but from what I understand, he'd been suffering for quite some time. RIP.

7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I too had the chance to meet Chuck Daly during his time at Penn in the early 1970s. He was a class act in every way.

RIP, coach...

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The first and last time I gave a shit about an NBA team. This sucks.

RIP Coach.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I was hoping this wasn't true. I still wish it weren't.

I never cheered for a team he coached, but I have great respect for his accomplishments as a coach. Not only did he make the New Jersey Nets respectable, he actually seemed to keep Dennis Rodman somewhat in line.

RIP Chuck.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, liked Daly a lot. Great coach, good broadcaster,too. I just didn't realize he was 78. That's a pretty long life by any standards.

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Grew up in Kane, Pa., not that far from me. My stepdad barely missed playing against him in high school (five-year age difference), but remembered watching him there and at SBU. (Edit: St. Bonaventure College, back then.) And when the Pistons won their championships, the local papers covered the hell out of the story -- not because anyone around here has given a damn about the NBA since Bob Lanier retired, but because Daly was one of us.

Rest well, Coach.

12. HAMMER TIME!

JORDAN RULES, BITCH!

RACK CD!

Draft saved Draft deleted