1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Chuck Bednarik

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Temple played on the "magic grass" at Franklin Field and sucked. Concrete Charlie used up all the magic? ;)

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yep, the clothesline/ tomahawk hit was very common up until the early-mid Seventies, then pretty much eradicated.

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Conflicted. My dad was a giants fan, but we grew up near Philly. So we heard equal parts love and hate about bednarik in the house. Though will add the legend of bednarik as the last two way player is overrated. He wasnt playing 60 minutes a game. He was only playing two ways because of injuries

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Bednarik was great. He also was his own biggest fan.
    Didn't always go over well. A little Chuck went a long way.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Dementia, no doubt caused by the football the 89-year-old guy played 50 years ago.
    Another football player taken in the prime of his life.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's kind-of nitpicking, but I believe he did play 60, or very close to it, in the 1960 title game.

Roster limits were 33-38 for most of Bednarik's career, so by sheer mathematics two-way players were not unheard-of. Also, college did not go to full-fledged free substitution until 1963 or so, so rookies coming in to the NFL were often tried out on both O and D their first couple of years.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I was a colleague of Bednarik's niece, she was a big Steelers fan because, she said, she got sick of hearing about the Iggles every time she saw her Uncle Charlie at family get-togethers.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    "And then I nailed Gifford with a clothesline and he fumbled and we won."

"That's fascinating, Uncle Charlie. Go Steelers!"

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is Tony Bill the kid on the left?

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Played every down of the 1960 title game at center and linebacker? And managed to fight the war without being shot by his own men? He would have been enshrined on the spot today.

What about Davis and Blanchard?

Draft saved Draft deleted