1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Chris Economaki

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

He was 91.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/8435223/dean-american-motorsports-chris-economaki-dies-91

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Heard this on Speed Channel today. Always enjoyed his enthusiasm. Clearly was a man doing what he loved to do. RIP.

3. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

One of the great voices in American sportscasting.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Having covered a gazillion events at Indianapolis, Economaki seemed eternal, like he emerged from the mortar in Indy's bricks.

I also recall his voice piercing through the screen back when CBS did the Daytona 500.

RIP.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

91?!?!?! Never would have guessed that old.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Abe Vigoda, rinse, repeat.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

One of my earliest TV memories is him doing the "Timex takes a licking and keeps on ticking" ads with the watch on the outboard engine prop in a tank of water.

He was also the voice of watching racing with my Dad.

RIP

8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

It's amazing how long he wrote about racing and announced it. When people do a job for 35 years we're amazed by the longevity. Chris covered racing for nearly 80 years. Wow. RIP Chris. I'm glad I finally got to meet him at Indy a few years ago.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I will confess I knew little of his writing career. Truly a loss to motor racing.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Loved him in "Stroker Ace."

Seriously, although he had stopped doing NASCAR broadcast when I got into the sport, I knew he was a big name in those circles. Like Mark, I didn't realize he was that old. Definitely lived a full life. RIP.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That was John Cameron Swayze, wasn't it?

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

@Riptide

Pretty sure it was Economaki but sometimes childhood memories can be wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted