1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Chris Dufresne

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, May 26, 2020.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

My story is small but the fact I remember I guess shows the overall sentiment here. I covered exactly one game with him. In Wyoming in the early 2000s when they played BYU and BYU was undefeated and people were asking that age old question if they belonged in BCS conversations and a seat at the table. It was before the Utahs and Boises and TCUs had really crashed the party so that's why he was there. To get a look at them and report on it.

I remember being with him on the sideline once the media was allowed down on the field and then of course in interview sessions. I was just a few years out of school, but he asked me tons of questions about the programs that played that night and the league and all that. Goes with the how grounded he was, like Tweener said. Me this no-name barely experienced reporter at a no-name Wyoming paper and the main guy from the L.A. Times is chatting me up about all of it. We even joked around some about the teams and game we just saw. Maybe I would have remembered anyway just because of who he was, but I think an overall experience like that makes it that much more memorable.

And BYU crashed and burned at the end of the season.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Absolutely this! When I returned to California about 15 years ago, the Sunday final edition of the Times was sold at a gas station down the street. Dufrense, Heisler on the NBA, hell, even Plaschke and Simers were my first reads. Astounded me how much Dufrense got into the Sunday column, even the West Coast night games.

RIP.

MileHigh likes this.
  3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

In 1984, I believe, the USFL Los Angeles Express had its media day at a health resort. After the festivities they opened the grounds to us and Chris and I played racquetball. I thought I was pretty good, but he kicked my butt. I never forgot how gracious he was, practically apologizing for beating me so badly.

RIP

Tweener and Roscablo like this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No doubt. The Times in the late 1990s into the early to mid-2000s was tremendous. This after their unreal lineup in the 1980s and early 1990s. Their Olympics coverage of 1984 set the gold standard of coverage.

Chris' Thursday college football column was must-read and the first thing I looked for those days in the fall. The Sunday final edition -- I devoured it all and aspired to work at a paper and for a section with such deep resources.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If you followed the Pac-10/Pac-12, he was a must-read. Met him several times on the old Skywriter's Tour and in pressboxes at Microville Tech and in Los Angeles. Never big-timed the guy from the little hometown paper. The LA Times sports department was the gold standard.

maumann and MileHigh like this.
  6. MileHigh

He was pure class. And even beyond college football. He wrote a lot on skiing and cycling as well as college basketball. His features were great. The Times ... man, for so long it was just incredible and I couldn't wait to get it every morning.

maumann likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

8. MileHigh

9. MileHigh

10. HanSenSE

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

My initial reaction and sentiments, exactly...

12. nickp

nickp Active Member

Awful news Chris Dufresne was one of the most insightful and funny writers covering college football

Draft saved Draft deleted