1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Charlie Spoonhour

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BadgerBeer, Feb 1, 2012.

1. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Charlie Soopnhour has died. He was a very cool guy and a damn good basketball coach. He had some great battles with Dick Bennett when Spoon was at SW Missouri and Dick was at UWGB.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/charlie-spoonhour-dies-brought-spoonball-to-slu/article_99a81026-4cf3-11e1-8b1a-0019bb30f31a.html

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Helluva guy. Was a MVC TV analyst after retirement. Universally loved.

RIP.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Sad ... have never heard a bad, or even questionable story, on him.

RIP, good sir.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Good ol' days of the Mid-Con ... SW Missouri State, Cleveland State, Northern Iowa, UWGB, and even Northern Illinois for a bit. Those teams had some great battles.

5. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Spoon was one of my favorite coaches. He was a great coach and a better person.

He used to call into other coaches radio shows to ask questions, posing as "Charlie from St. Louis". He was hilarious.

After a short break, he came back to take the UNLV job. He said the reason he came back was because he had run out of decent sweats.

My favorite Spoon story came from a Final Four. He was with a group of coaches drinking in the hotel lobby and the place was packed. Bob Huggins was in the group, sitting on a coffee table, and when a round of drinks came, Huggins lost his balance when reaching for his wallet and crashed through the table. Everybody in the lobby heard the noise and looked that way, only to see Spoon hovering over Huggins and yelling something like, "If you say something like that again then I am going to hit you again."

I had no less than 10 people tell me in the next couple of days that Spoon had hit Huggins. Hilarious.

RIP Charlie. . . thanks for making this world a better place.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I had a few dealings with Spoonhour as a young sportswriter, and he was as gracious and accommodating toward me as he was toward the regular beat guys. Great coach, great guy. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted