1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Charlie Jones

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jun 13, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

NBC reported during golf that longtime sportscaster Charlie Jones died Thursday night in San Diego. He was 77.
  2. RIP, Charlie Jones

NBC just reported that the former broadcaster has also died.
  3. J.T. Pinch

J.T. Pinch New Member

Re: RIP, Charlie Jones

One of the great voices of the old AFL days. Wasn't he also the PA announcer for the St. Louis Cardinals?
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Mr. AFC West. It was always a treat hearing Charlie Jones do a Raiders game. He also some work on the Olympics for ABC. In addition to being a great announcer, he also came across as a genuinely nice man. Nowadays it seems like the quickest way to get your ticket punched for a nationwide audience is to be a prick. Adios Charlie. You helped make the golden age of TV sports golden.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Loved Charlie Jones because he always was on the old AFC West games. A very good broadcaster.

What a day at NBC. Wow.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He and Al Derogatis rep old-school football for me. RIP.
  7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

true enough... nothing said Raiders/Chargers/Chiefs/Broncos like having him call it..
  8. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

I liked Charlie Jones because he struck a good balance between calling the game properly and levity. RIP.
  9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Damn, the only video of the "Holy Roller" game I could find has the Raiders' radio call.
  10. shockey

shockey Active Member

r.i.p., charlie.

man, as a kid growing up in the '60s, what a joy he was ob those ol' afl games.

damn. what a day, indeed. :'( :'( :'(
  11. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

My memory of Charlie is how composed he was after blowing the call of one of the Olympic track finals. Paul Ereng won it what I think was the 800 final in Seoul in '88, but Charlie called it for one of his countrymen (Nixon Kiprotich?) instead.

He was horrified to realize what had happened moments after the finish but cleaned it up -- I think he called it "the world record of announcing blunders" -- apologized to both the audience and Ereng and moved on with plenty of grace.

If I had made that mistake, I would have been dropping F-bombs all over the place.
  12. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I'm just barely old enough to remember Derogatis in his prime, but it was always a treat watching a game that either of those guys was calling. A pair of complete professionals behind the mic.
Draft saved Draft deleted