1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Charlie Daniels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Next degree of separation, does anyone think of Tigers utility IF Jim Walewander when the Milkmen come up?

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Bitchin' Camaro

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Jim Walewander’s favorite band

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I guess the answer is yes

Tighthead and OscarMadison like this.
  5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Some afternoons in here it's like someone gave William Shatner bath salts and turned him loose at the Whiskey a Go Go.

(I am thoroughly entertained by both conversations. Don't mind me, I'm here in the corner nursing an Ocean Spray and Sprite with a dish of olives and dill pickles.)

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Charlie Daniels took his heel turn early on. Uneasy Rider was recorded in 1973. I just found a live version from 1979 where he had already changed the words.
    Instead of "a peace sign, mag wheels, and four on the floor" he was singing "a gun rack, mag wheels, and four on the floor."
    Instead of "would you believe this man has gone as far as tearin' Wallace stickers off the bumpers of cars and he voted for George McGovern for president" to "Reagan stickers" (which he pronounced 'REE-gan') and "voted for Jimmy Carter."

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I reckon it would have been worse if he started licking his balls.

Driftwood likes this.
  8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Were you in a panic?

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Browne might not be the greatest husband, but Running on Empty is one of the greatest songs ever written.

- this sounds so great and looks so friggin awful.

How can you look so flaccid playing this? But, God, I love that steel guitar.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I seem to recall stories about Lyndon Johnson talking to people in the WH while he was on the crapper.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

You don't hire David Lindley for his looks. He's an absolute guitar god, though. If it has strings he can play it.

The only time that I saw him as a solo act (I have seen him with Browne several times) he played an outdoor festival here. His accompaniment was a Turkish drummer who played the sort of hand struck talking drums where you can alter the tone by squeezing the drum with your knees, and Lindley was playing an oud, a Turkish instrument that's somewhere between a large mandolin and a medieval lute. He was playing slide blues on it.

Here. He noodles through the intro and starts the actual song at around 2:00.

Lindley and Ry Cooder, just because it's nice to share. Mercury Blues at 6:00 or so.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I have heard that he once whipped it out and put it on the table to explain why the United States was going to win the war in Vietnam.

Draft saved Draft deleted