1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Charlie Daniels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 6, 2020.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Again, Lennon was never shy about his commentary. Never seemed to cost him any fans.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Again, I am and always will be a fan of CDB music. Again, if I could be assured of going to see a live show and getting only music with none of Daniels' opinions, I would have done so. I seriously doubt that would have been the case. I honestly don't know of any musician who I'd pay to see knowing they would spend half the time giving me their political opinion.... whether I agreed with them or not. If I'm paying to see a show, I want to see a show, not a stump speech.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Steve Earle, Isbell, DBTs and others constantly catch shit from fans about their politics. Willie Nelson caught heat for endorsing Hillary, and people were apparently shocked to find out that he leaned to the Democrats.

Wenders, Inky_Wretch and FileNotFound like this.
  4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

It's ridiculous to me that an entertainer's politics affect your enjoyment of their work. I don't want to hear a lot of politics between songs at a concert. But I can just let it pass until the music starts again. I might say very quietly, "Shut up and play." My brother refused to watch "Shawshank Redemption" because he didn't like Tim Robbins' politics. Similar with "Bull Durham" and Robbins/Sarandon. He loves baseball and would love the movie. But the politics of the actors make him not want to watch.

maumann likes this.
  5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm with you. If the music or performance is good, I'm in. I couldn't care less what they think about politics.

I'll extend that to businesses, too. Sell a product I like at a good price and I'll buy it. Do I give a shit what party its owner votes for? Not even a little bit.

Let the fireworks begin!

ChrisLong likes this.
  6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I went to a Drive-By Truckers concert on Nov. 16, 2016, and you bet your ass Patterson Hood was talking about politics that night. About a third of the crowd left during the first part of the show, as the band played nothing but songs of its protest album, "American Band." As the string of early departures thinned out, about five songs in, Hood said, "Now that the assholes are gone, we'll play some of the old stuff." And they rocked the remaining crowd's faces off for another two hours.

I was trying to think of an artist I like that's openly right-wing, and I can't really think of one. I wouldn't have to sit through rants from Toby Keith or Darryl Worley or Ted Nugent because I wouldn't go to one of their shows. (Disclosure: I did sit through a Damn Yankees show in 1991. It actually didn't completely suck.) But yeah, if I liked the music enough, I'd ignore the political parts I disagreed with.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Isn't that a similar debate when it comes to people like Michael Jackson? We know he was a creep, but his music is still beloved and gets plenty of air play.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    ChrisLong likes this.
  8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I too caught a Damn Yankees concert in 1991 (they toured with what was left of Bad Company).

If I recall, Jack Blades, Tommy Shaw and Uncle Ted each had their own portion of the show to play songs from their previous groups/solo careers. So Ted used a good chunk of his time to rant against Saddam Hussein and Iraq.

FileNotFound likes this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I don't see how one is supposed to separate an artist from his/her politics or criminal history. It just seems to me that any artist worth his/her salt uses their core beliefs as the starting ingredients for their creations, and therefore the listener/viewer should take those beliefs into account when gauging the results.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You love an artist. You love his politics. He beats his wife. Listen to him or not? Where do you draw the line?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not really apples to apples.
    Disagreeing with someone's politics is one thing, being a disgusting criminal is another.

FileNotFound likes this.
  12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

We all have our levels. For example, because of his comments about Jews, I won't pay for a Mel Gibson movie and won't watch him being interviewed. But that doesn't mean I won't watch Lethal Weapon if it comes on TV.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted