1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Charlie Daniels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I mean ... what about the music?

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Because that should be the first thing your mind goes to when you think about Charlie Daniels

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

On a couple of country music sites I visit there are some good meltdowns about not judging him by his politics. That’s a nice idea, but when his next of kin keep his Benghazi Tweet streak alive it’s hard to just let it be about the music.

I remember in the early 90s wondering how the guy who wrote Uneasy Rider now seemed like an actual John Birch guy.

I think that post Nixon, there was some common ground between the rednecks and the hippies, who Willie famously united at his 1974 picnic. Everyone was angry and disillusioned. I don’t think there is much of that anymore.

Inky_Wretch, maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It’s the red meat that the nut jobs love.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Love the music. Hate the politics. He was supposed to play a gig here in the spring that was postponed until October. I refused to buy a ticket.
    I guess that show is off now.

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

not necessarily

7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Travis Tritt makes a great Devil. Lil' Marty? Bless his heart. Someone needs to explain flow to him.

Batman likes this.
  8. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Marty is a talent but that is about the worst possible deployment of him. He and Tritt were tour and duet partners.

I remember around that time O'Connor seemed to turn up in just about everything in Nashville. Glancing at his wiki page I see his impact goes well beyond country and bluegrass.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I liked Charlie but he lost me with his politics. That said, he played on "Blond on Blond".

Rest.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

And Ronnie, my buddy,
    Above all the rest
    I miss you the most
    And I loved you the best
    And now that you’re gone
    I thank god I was blessed
    Just to know you ...

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I know a lot of Beatles fans who never gave a shit about John Lennon's politics. Does it have to matter if you like the music?

expendable likes this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I listen to him all the time. I've basically said similar things to my cousin because he changes the channel whenever Springsteen or Mellencamp come on. I've told him if I was like that, I'd change the channel whenever the CDB came on, but I like the music.
    The difference comes in paying money vs. listening to the radio. If you could guarantee that someone would go from one song to the next without giving me their commentary, that would be different. I kind of doubt that would happen, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted