1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Casey

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YGBFKM, Apr 10, 2011.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Almost 14 years after a chance meeting in an elementary school parking lot, I had to put down one of my best friends. Casey was one of a kind. A mutt that, best anyone could tell over the years, was a mix of border collie and corgi, she was equal parts sweet and heartwarmingly oblivious. Until today, when a cancerous mass burst in her abdomen, she was so full of life. An outdoor dog who lovingly put up with years of being cooped up in apartments as I drifted aimlessly through years of Bohemian singlehood, she never lost the joy of going out for a simple walk or a trip around the yard. She was the last of a litter being sold out of a pickup truck in small-town Arkansas. She was given to me for free. Our time together was priceless.

I would be remiss before I ended this post if I did not thank my wife, who quickly grew to accept and love Casey. There was a time not long ago that my dogs (Casey's sister is still her surly self at 13) were the only reasons I had to wake up every day. That's changed in a number of wonderful ways. As tough as it was to lay on two blankets in a sterile, drab emergency vet room and hold Casey for the last time, sobbing, Casey's mom was right there with me.

Thanks, baby. You're the best thing that ever happened to Casey, too.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, this breaks my heart. So sorry for you and CB and Ginger too.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Dude, I feel for you. Thoughts and prayers.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Dogs somehow understand people. Usually better than other people do. Sorry for your loss.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My deepest and sincerest condolences. Our family lost Blackjack four years ago this weekend. Not a day goes by I don't think of him. None ever will. All I can say is that the memories are worth having, grief and all.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sorry for your loss. Just came back from the dog park with my soon-to-be 11-year-old beagle. Dogs are great and bring so much joy to people. Cherish everything you had with her.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Very sorry to hear. RIP, Casey.

8. I'm sorry brother. That just sucks, but you had a heck of a relationship, so try and remember that. Dogs are wonderful, wonderful companions.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

aw, geez, my sincerest sympathies . losing our dogs and cats bring out the most humane side of SportsJournalists.com. hang in there. and never forget... i hope there's enough love in your heart to take on the responsibility of a new friend...

RIP, CASEY (i must admit, upon first sight of the thread header, i thought 'american idol's' casey had passed (he's had medical issues, right?)

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sincere condolences. I hate that. Same thing happened to my Zinger - all well until a tumor burst. Hang in brother. The dog loved you and went out knowing it was very well loved. You did the right thing for the dog.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

:'( :'( :'( :'(

My little ghetto rescue psycho hound just tracked mud all over the carpet, going to give him a cookie.

RIP Casey.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm dreading the day that my 16-year-old cat makes his trip to kitty heaven.

It's so painful losing a pet. But the great memories last a lifetime.

Draft saved Draft deleted