1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Carl Tacy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shelbyville Manhattan, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

"Gentleman Carl" of Wake Forest men's basketball. His team ended Ray Meyer's career in the 1984 Sweet Sixteen and had a habit of winning the "Big Four" early-season tournament in which the four ACC schools in North Carolina gathered for a two-day slugfest (with none of the games counting in the conference standings) that would be inconceivable in today's game.

Carl Tacy, a former Wake Forest basketball coach who is in the school's Hall of Fame, has died

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Remarkable coach who retired at the age of 53 and never coached again, I don't think.
    Pretty amazing to have held his own at Wake Forest in the early 1980s while the rest of the league had Jordan, Worthy, Perkins, Sampson, Bias, etc. The fans presumably realized what they had when his successor, Bob Staak, failed so miserably.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Underappreciated is correct. UNC was humming along because of Dean. NCSU was enjoying the Norm Sloan Era and the beginning of Jim Valvano. Duke was down early in Tacy's tenure before Bill Foster revived them for a while, then struggled for a couple of seasons while a young guy named Mike Krzyzewski was getting acclimated.

Also recruited a guy from my hometown, Anthony Teachey, who was drafted by the Dallas Mavericks and went on to successful tenures with European clubs. Ended up back at my hometown some years later to work at the same Boys' and Girls' Club he went to as a teenager.

Draft saved Draft deleted