1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Captain Lou Albano

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Huggy, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Without a doubt, one of the worst pieces of crap to ever soil America's airwaves.
    I'll never forget one of the bumpers as they were going to commercial. Capt. Lou (as Mario) appears on the screen and says, "Stay tuned for more Super Mario Bros. Super Show! If you don't, you'll turn into a goomba!"
    The mental image of a 5-year-old crying to his mom that Mario told him he's going to turn the kid into a goomba has never left me.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

tritto

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Yep.

Davey Boy Smith - dead from drug abuse
    Dynamite Kid - confined to a wheelchair from drug abuse and the toll his style took on his body (diving headbutt in particular, which led to Harley Race saying he wish he never would've innovated that move)

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I guess God needed a another heel manager (along with "Classy" Freddie Blassie and the Wizard) for made for Heaven PPV. RIP.

5. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Kid who was in The Client. Battled drug and alcohol abuse and found dead in Jan. 2008 at age 25.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The lasting image of Lou for me was seeing him on a fold-out chair on a Monday afternoon in May sunning himself on my high school's football practice field (either '94 or '95). He was killing time before Monday Night Raw, then taped in strictly intimate venues (such as my high school's gym).

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No one could manage a tag team like Cap't Lou.

RIP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Early in his career, Lou was in a tag team with Tony Altomare called The Sicilians. They put out publicity photos of themselves in striped suits, fedoras and white gloves to suggest they were mobsters. Some guys from the real Mob in Chicago got the word to them that they didn't appreciate the tribute. The Sicilians kept the name, but dropped the props.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Captain Lou was the man. I grew up watching him grapple the likes of the living legend, Bruno Samartino. RIP.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This sucks.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Just awesome.

Also had a cameo as a cook in Time After Time.

I'm with Mizzou though...thought he'd died years ago. He appeared at some wrestling thing in my hometown a few years ago and I saw pics in the local paper. Could not believe how old he looked.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I asked this on the wrestling thread - was there a story behind the rubber bands? Did he think they were a good look?

Draft saved Draft deleted