1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Cal McLish and Bob Shaw

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Two big-time pitchers in their day:

http://newsok.com/former-big-league-pitcher-cal-mclish-dies-at-age-84/article/3489168

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-09-26/features/ct-spt-0927-shaw-obit--20100926_1_white-sox-glenn-shaw-bob-shaw

McLish's full name was Calvin Coolidge Julius Caesar Tuskahoma McLish.

Shaw was known as a ladies man. White Sox manager Al Lopez is alleged to have said to him, "Shaw, you must be a lousy lay. I see you with a different broad every night."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Neither was really much more than a journeyman who had a few good years. McClish was 98-98 for his 15-year career with 2 big years in Cleveland.

Shaw played only 11 years, 108-98 record, had one good season with the Whte Sox, one good one with the Giants and one good one with the Milwaukee Braves.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You're right. Those stats are downright Vandy-era Cutler-esque.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Shaw was a lovely 18-6 in the magical year of 1959, overshadowed
    only by Early Wynn's magnificent 22-10.

Hated the management, and was glad to leave.

Calvin Coolidge was a White Sox alum, as well. Sorry to see.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Shaw also had a decent year (11-10) with the '66 Mets, which was a pretty big accomplishment in those days.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You're not kidding. That was akin to doing time.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Had an opportunity to talk with Bob Shaw a few months ago. Couldn't have been nicer. RIP.

p.s. I'd say he had two good seasons with the Braves ('62 and '63); ERA in the mid-2s both seasons.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Nobody is trying to say either one is a Hall of Famer, but if you can last 15 years as a "journeyman," you must have had some value. And playing "only" 11 years and winning 108 games isn't too bad, either.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I guess it's all a matter of your experiences. My first thought was "two former Brewers pitching coaches."

Shaw was considered as the guy who ruined Bill Parsons -- a huge prospect in the franchise's early years. He went 13-17 in 35 starts in 1971 and 13-13 in 30 starts in 1972 with respectable ERAs of 3.20 and 3.91. Then Shaw tried to change him and he walked 67 in 59 innings in 1973 and was not heard from again.

Draft saved Draft deleted