1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP C. Everett Koop

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I know Dr. Koop was the subject of a lot of Johnny Carson humor back in the day.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I believe he was an integral part of a B Sharps song. I also would have sworn that he was already dead, and not just in that "Huh, that guy was still alive?" sense. I would have sworn I read about him dying.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

wasn't he in the client?

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

A big reason Koop was so well-known, other than his beard, is that he was vocal about the need to combat AIDS when his bosses, and most of the country, didn't want to hear about it.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Yes! This was a great man. Also, on smoking. He said cut that shit out, no really. He stood up to Presidents. We desperately need more like him.

His death bums me out. But he lived to 96, as if to say, see assholes? I did know a thing or two

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

What Bob and Lugnuts said.

7. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I'll +1 Bob and Lugnuts. Forgot he was big on the anti-AIDS thing, but he was, along with smoking. Wish we had more people who'd stand up and speak their minds like he did.

Draft saved Draft deleted