1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bum Phillips

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Too young to remember him in Houston, but I remember he gave the Saints some respectability afterward. RIP

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My favorite Bum quote was, on Earl Campbell: "If he's not in a class by himself, it doesn't take long to call roll."

Bum was my first celebrity autograph, when I was 9 years old, at the 1983 Senior Bowl. RIP.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Damn. RIP Bum.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Found this:

He might have been as much of the reason I became an Oilers fan in southwest Kansas when I was little as anything else.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

AP story is great, with lots of his quotes.

On Earl Campbell's inability to finish a mile run: "When it's first-and-a-mile, I won't give it to him."

On his name: "I don't mind being called Bum, just as long as you don't put a you in front of it."

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I started following football in 1978. As a kid, I thought guys like Bum Phillips were normal. Took the passage of time to realize he was a complete original.

During his Saints days, I remember a Falcons fan swiped his cowboy hat in Atlanta and ran off into the crowd with it. I remember thinking it wasn't right ... you don't fuck with Phillips' hat.

RIP.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

His image is plastered around Reliant Stadium for some BBQ that he endorses.
    Bum was sainted by the city of Houston.
    I last saw him and did an interview at a Mobile Seagulls arena game back around 2001. His son was coaching whoever Mobile was playing that night and Bum was in town for the game.
    He was extremely down-home and folksy...very approachable.
    The game has lost an icon.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ol' Bum finally kicked that door in.

We'll miss him.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

"Hey! Can I tell you one thing? That's three hoadin' penalties on one football team in a quarter and a half! (pause) That ain't funny."

Houston coaches should wear a 10-gallon hats this weekend.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

"I want this put on my tombstone: He'd have lived a lot longer if he hadn't had to play Pittsburgh three times a year."

Lived a long full life anyway. RIP.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

If I ran the NFL, I would require that. Sadly, I do not.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Remember reading a Playboy profile on him years ago where he said he only knew about three things: barbecue, football and pickup trucks.

RIP to a real character in a league with little of that anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted