1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bud Shrake

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, May 8, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

RIP. "The Little Red Book" was great.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Very sad news. RIP. What a wonderful writer.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The man was an iconic presence before and during the Cowboys' rise to iconic status here in Texas and worldwide.
    Shrake is certainly well-known in these parts and will gain larger status on the national stage following his death.
    RIP Bud

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

One of my all-time favorites, great cover, a much better time.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1081880/index.htm

o-<

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

author of the best-selling sports book in publishing history and only a handful of comments?

rip, former 1st guy of texas.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

RIP, Mr. Shrake

If there was a Mt. Rushmore for great, Texas-bred sportswriters, you'd start with Sherrod, Jenkins and Shrake.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

People don't really know, I'm afraid, the talents of Mr. Shrake.
    They think The Little Red Book was written by Penick.
    They aren't really familiar with Harper's Magazine, Willie Morris and many of the people Mr. Shrake ran with.
    Many people on this board and many readers in general either didn't see items written in 1960s-70s SI editions or didn't bother with remembering the byline.
    That's the simple truth, for whatever it's worth.

Same thing sort of happened with Willie Morris died about ten (it's been that long?) years ago.
    A lot of people weren't aware of Willie, for the most part.
    I think W. Faulkner, to some degree, endures the same fate.

EDIT: Changed "People on this board ..." to "Many people on this board ..."

Carry on.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i would hope people on this board know who he is

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Shrake and Jenkins went to the same high school. Wow. And imagine being at the Fort Worth Telegram in those days under Blackie Sherrod. That was the heyday.

"When Dan Jenkins brought him to me ... he immediately showed talent and went on to remarkable success and acclaim far beyond the pressbox," Mr. Sherrod wrote in an e-mail Friday. "He said later that had it not been for that introduction he probably would have become a lawyer.

Sounds like he wasn't cheated out of a blessed second in life. Good for him.

11. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

I met Bud through Dan Jenkins maybe 10 yrs ago, over drinks and dinner, a delight all night....later interviewed him for my Ali book (he'd made a road trip with the young Cassius for SI, a classic)....Sally considered him a second father, used to babysit her....women loved him, and if Ann Richards loved you, as she did Bud, you got loved to the first degree, was his testimony....

Sally says he "went downriver" in his sleep and that his epitaph should be, "He did everything he wanted to and nothing he didn't want to"....

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Perfect. A life well lived.

Draft saved Draft deleted