1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Buck O'Neil

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sxysprtswrtr, Oct 6, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

That was pretty much the exact order of my thoughts: 1. Fuck, Buck died. 2. I bet Poz is brilliant on this one.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Posnanski is wrapping up a book about Buck O'Neil. I'm not sure when it's going to come out.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

according to amazon, april 1

http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Baseball-Through-ONeils-America/dp/0060854030/

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

RIP Buck. One of baseball's biggest losses in a long time.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Amen buddy.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Maybe one of the best story tellers ever in sports. I could listen to him for hours. And it's a shame that he gave more of himself to baseball even in his 90's than baseball ever gave back to him.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Seriously, that should be written on his tombstone.

I, like many, was introduced to him through Ken Burns' series and always hoped I'd be a big enough name in the biz in time to interview him. I didn't get there in time, but the sport and the biz are better for having heard his stories. RIP

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I happened to jump online when I was done with my news wire shift tonight and noticed the thread Sxy started. I immediately went back to work getting the breaking news on 1A for our second edition. This place ain't all bad. Thanks, Sxy.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You didn't need to be a big name to interview him. You didn't even need to be in this biz. All you needed to do was be at the Negro League Museum in KC one day when he was there. He'd tell you all the stories you'd want to hear.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I also realized that today I decided to wear my Buck O'Neil shirt. Makes me even sadder.

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Never met the man, but a true ambassador for the game.
    That he didn't make it into the HOF last summer was a gigantic outrage.
    RIP, Buck.

12. I talked to him once for 10 minutes. He called me "friend." Everybody was Buck's friend by default, and vice versa.

Draft saved Draft deleted