1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Buck O'Neil

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sxysprtswrtr, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) – Buck O’Neil, former Negro League star, has died.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fuck.

RIP, fellow Buck. Got to meet him in Viera, Fla., at a Royals spring training game in '01. He posed for a picture with me, told me stories for 10 mins from the box seats. One of the most gracious men I've ever met.

:'(

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I would've loved to have heard his Hall of Fame speech.

RIP. One of the truly unforgettable people in this world.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

RIP to a man about whom I've never heard anything less than glowing.

I regret never having had the chance to share a moment with him.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Buck is a bigger and better institution than the Baseball Hall of "Fame".

Fuck those motherfuckers.

As for Buck, RIP. One of baseball's all-time outstanding ambassadors. Without him, the Negro Leagues may have been shoved aside as just another baseball league. Thanks for that too Buck. And thanks for being you. You were truly one of city's most outstanding human beings ever.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Dear voters who took part in the recent Negro Leaguers vote and didn't select Buck for induction,

Fuck all of you.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

RIP to Buck -- I think he died because God wanted to hear his stories in person.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

In SI's Great Baseball Writing, there was a tremendous feature on him. What a wonderful human being.

RIP

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Let's lay off that for tonight, please.

There's a valid reason he didn't get in this time, and why he won't get in as a player any time. We can go back to the HOF thread if we want to revisit that discussion. I'll throw out my suggestion, once again, for a "Lifetime Achievement" honor for people like Buck who deserve to be honored for *something* but don't fit the qualifications necessary for induction.

But not right now. RIP Buck.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I still have no clue what else Buck could have done to make Cooperstown, at least as an ambassador to the game, because that's exactly what he was. I have no clue how many stories he told to however many people at spring training games or walking through the halls of the Negro Leagues Museum, but he WAS baseball.

RIP Buck.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The definition of a gentleman.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

:(

rip buck

can't wait to read poz

Draft saved Draft deleted