1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bryan Burwell

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Dec 4, 2014.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So terribly sad. He was 59.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/obituaries/article_39e52936-fb27-53a5-94d8-cbd265aa7ae1.html#.VIB1Qeiobr8.twitter

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just awful. I am so sorry for his loved ones. It was always a pleasure to encounter Bryan at an event.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yep. Bryan was always a thoughtful, warm, engaging guy to bump into at a game. True gentleman.

4. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Tragic.

RIP.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ah, shit. Cancer sucks.

Never met Bryan personally but heard an awful lot of good things about him, and I read his work all the time in the Post-Dispatch. Before that he was in Detroit, so I saw his stuff in the News all the time.

Sad day in the St. Louis community. RIP.

7. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Surprised and sorry to hear the sad news.

Cancer sucks, doesn't it?

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interns together in Richmond in 1976. Covered the Senior Little League World Series with him. Exceptionally good guy. Very sad news.

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Always enjoyed reading his work. RIP.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Always liked that he brought his "national" profile to a market such as St. Louis. No idea of the circumstances or preferences that made that happen, but appeared to be a move in favor of relative grass-roots sports fandom. RIP.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I feel just awful about this. I hadn't spoken to Bryan in a few years, but he was always great to deal with and a really nice guy.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I remember riding an elevator with him at an NBA all-star weekend and having a really nice conversation to the point I wished the elevator ride had lasted longer. He was just a good guy to be around. RIP to a guy who always did it the right way.

Draft saved Draft deleted