1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Brig. Gen. Paul Tibbets, USAF (ret)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Colonel Angus, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Awfully defensive, aren't you? Would you like to talk about it?

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I saw nothing defensive in that post.

3. I can't believe a rather innocuous RIP thread has turned into this. Well, on second thought, maybe I can.

Anyway, dittos to Bamadog and Dan. Anybody who thinks it would have been better not to drop the bombs ... well, I don't know what to say to you. But if we hadn't done it, I'd probably be saying it to you in Japanese.

4. BBJones

BBJones Guest

No way, Lyman_Bostock, we'd still be speaking Spanish, just like we are now.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Talking shit about America (and no, buck, I'm not specifically accusing you) on anonymous message boards is not something to feel good about, either.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

No, a ridiculous comparison I never made, Buck. You're smarter than that. There are plenty of people who seem to take pride in telling anyone who will listen just how fucked-up America is, and it's happened on this thread (and many others) a number of times. We're not a perfect country, but I sure in hell wouldn't use an RIP thread to take my shots.

I shouldn't have even gotten involved. This thread makes me ashamed to be a board member.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

THIS ONE? I mean, yeah, it's not our shining moment.

But I can think of many more shaming.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I have an easier time not getting involved in those to begin with.

9. I don't feel good about having dropped the bombs.

I do feel good about what happened because we did.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Let's see. What happened? 1) 120,000 people were instantly killed, two cities were destroyed and tens of thousands of others lived in pain and misery afterward or had their natural lives shortened. 2) Japan surrendered because we did it.

I find it a bit curious when someone weighs 1 vs. 2, and their response is, "I feel good about what happened because we did it" rather than, "Humanity creates severely fucked-up conditions for itself."

11. I don't feel good about ... = Point 1

I do feel good about ... = Point 2

As far as humanity goes, I don't make the rules, I just live here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.