1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Brig. Gen. Paul Tibbets, USAF (ret)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Colonel Angus, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Yeah, right, Irish. Whatever. Was Ireland even in World War II?

I lost two great-uncles I never met at Iwo Jima and Okinawa, and another came home with his legs shot off. He lived to 53 and had part of his face burned off. Never the same after that.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I'm glad Fenian hasn't responded to your post yet because it doesn't deserve an answer.

3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Thanks, Beaker. Not a good topic for me, but I'll address it any time, anywhere.

It was before I was born, but it wrecked my family for a long while. Maybe more so with the guy who came home. Strong people, so life went on. But the stories were grim.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

Ask any Bataan death march survivor if it was justified.
    They started it and we finished it.
    And why didn't they surrender after Hiroshima?
    It took another one for them to surrender.
    God help us if Hitler and the Nazis had the A-bomb first with those V-2 rockets.
    Truman made the right decision.

5. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I wonder how anyone could argue about World War II.

Korean conflict, Vietnam War, sure. And all this bullshit in Iraq.

World War II, that was for the good guys.

Tough to know who the good guys are today.

Back then, though, we saved the world.

6. YEEAAAHHHHH! 'MERICA!!!!! WE'RE THE FUCKING GOOD GUYS!!!!

Christ. This thread, unbelievably, was apparently doomed from the start.

7. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Tibbets was a great man who followed orders that day. His use of the phrase "I killed 70,000 people," is clearly not accurate. Those deaths, and the ones that followed, were a product of many, many people. That he threw the switch is immaterial. That could have been any pilot.

I do find it curious, meanwhile, that Fenian_Bastard, who seems to be very anti-war and anti-soliders-dying, is upset at the notion of a weapon whose use ended a war and averted the certain deaths of as many soldiers as civilians died from the blast, and probably thousands upon thousands more. A life is a life, uniform or not.

And yes, Kingofbedsidemanor, America is the good guys. At least that was certainly the case in WWII. All the "what-if" conjecture is meaningless, of course, but we did stop after two bombs. I doubt any other country involved in that war would have, had they the similar chance.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

This was a well-debated topic a few months ago. Spare this thread and read that one. Everyone pretty much got their shots in on it.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/45282/

9. I, ah. resist the notion that the A-bomb was in anyway merciful.
    With that, I refer folks to the thread Pilot linked to.

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Terrorists have invaded our imagination!

11. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Fenian_Bastard ... not merciful. Just the lesser of two very evil evils.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One thing I feel uncomfortable about re: Gen. Tibbets, is he has gone around for years and years going to gun and military shows earning money as the guy who dropped the bomb.

I am certain that it saved a lot of America lives but not sure I'd want to trade on that for appearance fees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.