1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Brendan Burke, son of Brian

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by V_Corningstone, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Still not fixed.

Thoughts and prayers to all.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Actually, there is. I had a couple of cousins who both died of kidney disease back in the '60s when they didn't have the medical technology they do today. Both were around 11 or 12. My aunt was seriously screwed up for a long time and spent some time in the hospital with mental issues.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I just did the same.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Let's also not forget there were TWO people killed in this tragic accident.

The other was a Michigan State volleyball player.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/22484486/detail.html

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I saw a link to Reedy's FB page somewhere else. His last status update: "Why am I here?"

I'm sure it was written flippantly about wherever they were at that point...but man, was it chilling reading it in this situation.

6. Machine Head

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/761516--leafs-saddened-by-loss-of-brian-burke-s-son

7. Machine Head

So is the link I posted.

Edit: Leafs page.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You are not alone. That was awful. Because it was news when he came out, sure you mention later in the story. But to say "the gay son" almost makes it sound like a pejorative. That's just brutal.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What he said.
    Deep in the story, you MIGHT mention something like, "Mr. Burke was in the news recently ***" That's reasonable. Some of your readers might be asking, "Damn, is that the one who was in the news recently?"

In the lead? Uh, no.

10. Kind sir, please sense the tone of the thread and behave appropriately. This really is not the place to adopt the attitude of a pissant.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nothing like going for the splash, eh? Style - or a little overboard sensationalism - over substance. And it sucks.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

rip, brendan. as the father of three boys, the esldest to be 20 next month with a car at school in northern new york, this is a nightmare scenario. :eek:

the cold, insenstive gay reference in the initial lede was incredibly tacky/tasteless. the reporter or editor responsible should be brought to the nearest woodshed. :mad:

Draft saved Draft deleted