1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Brendan Burke, son of Brian

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by V_Corningstone, Feb 5, 2010.

1. A sad night for Brian Burke.

http://www.pal-item.com/article/20100205/UPDATES/100205038/Out-of-state+victims+identified+in+U.S.+35+weather-related+fatality

Brendan Burke was his son.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh my God, what a horrible story.

This is the son that was profiled recently, right? There's nothing worse than outliving your child.

3. Yes, it is the same son.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Sad beyond words.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/74600/

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You've just got to hope that Brian can find some comfort knowing that his son knew that he had his father's unconditional love.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

From The Star:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/761516--leafs-saddened-by-loss-of-brian-burke-s-son

What the hell is that? Second, third, fourth, all of the above grafs, I'm fine with. But in the lede? As if that's all he was? So disrespectful.

Am I alone?

7. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Doesn't need to be in the story at all. If he was heterosexual would it be mentioned?

8. imjustagirl

I'm fine with it being in the story, because it was a big deal just a few months ago. It just read wrong in the identifying sentence.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Vile.

Doesn't belong there at all.

If you desperately need to make it part of the story, bury it somewhere with reference to the recent story about their close and unconditional relationship. But it's an afterthought, not the lead. Horrible.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tragic ending to what was turning out to be a beautiful story. There is times you read things that just take your breath away. This is one of those.

The lede - one of the dumbest, coldhearted I've ever read.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Maybe mentioned much later in the story, with reference that he'd caught flack over it.
    Maybe not mentioned in the story at all.
    Very disrespectful to be in the lede.

12. imjustagirl

Also, we always make sure to turn ads off on obits or stories about death. This one has ads on, which leads to an inserted ad asking:

This is just horribly handled, top to bottom.

Draft saved Draft deleted