1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Braves

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 6, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm not sure the Braves pitching is capable of a 12 out of 15 run ... who can you count on besides Hudson and Smoltz? And the pen is a disaster.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Phils: Beatable.
    Milwaukee: Beatable.
    St. Louis: Going to be tough.
    Evil Personified: Beatable.
    Phils: Beatable.

If the Mets are 9-6 or 10-5, it will have been a very good trip.

3. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

you're probably right about that, but the Braves may be able to overcome that issue by pounding the pitching staffs of Florida and Washington. They're 13-18 now so if they can go 12-3, they'll get to 25-21, which I don't think will be much more than five games out of first place. Plus next month, they have nine games with Washington, Florida and Tampa Bay.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What, you don't like Kyle Davies and John Thomson? ::)

5. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

I would take them over Jose Lima and whoever starts for Zambrano.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think Lima's getting sent down tomorrow. Today was a one-shot, see what he has game. Clearly, he has nothing left.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

but who do they bring up?

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Pelfry, perhaps?

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not even close. 2 starts at Binghamton...0-0, 4.66, 16 hits in 9 2/3 innings.

Lima probably gets another shot Friday in Milwaukee and Jeremi Gonzalez gets called from Norfolk for Saturday. Maybe by the end of the trip they make a trade.

10. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

you talking about the john thomson who's third in the NL in ERA right now, right?
    and the kyle davies who pitched a complete-game three-hitter against the mighty mets about two weeks ago?
    those guys? they'll be fine.
    top to bottom, atlanta's got the better starting staff. no doubt about that. they'll have to pick it up some, but the starters are nowhere near atlanta's biggest problem.

11. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

gonzalez was mentioned as a possibilty if lima faltered. If Jason Scobie wasn't 0-4 with an ERA over 5 at Norfolk, I'd imagine he'd have been a possibilty.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Redundant. :D When the Braves come up with both a decent closer and decent middle relief in the same season, they'll be world champions. And as much of a fanboy as I am, I still don't expect it to happen. (Moddy: You can keep Stanton.)

I was going to remind you that Thomson is third in the league in ERA, and that Davies gave the Mets a thermonuclear wedgie recently, but djc got there first.

Draft saved Draft deleted