1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Braves

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 6, 2006.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

everybody down here got seduced. they were under the impression Atlanta would average 13 runs per game the rest of the season. This is the same team that was what, 13 under .500 not that long ago.
    When teams are going bad, it looks like they'll never win. when they are going good, even the Royals (sorry hoops) look unbeatable.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

For the record, I wasn't saying the Braves will win the East, or even that it was likely. I was simply saying it's not impossible.

As for the rumored trade talks, honestly the Pirates would be foolish to trade Gonzalez. With their young pitchers, it's not hard to look two years down the road and see something close to what the Tigers are doing now. Trade away your ace closer and you might set yourself back another couple of years. If you're the Pirates, you'd better get more than Giles in return.

I've wondered about the Renteria batting leadoff thing, too. Didn't he hit leadoff for the Marlins? Giles is much better batting second than he is first, but given how Betemit performed last year and so far this year, I'd take him in a heartbeat. He does something every game to help the team. In 2000, the prevailing sentiment was that Betemit's ascension to the majors was going to force Furcal to second.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

bob wickman saves the braves bullpen.
    I guess because they gave up a no-name prospect, this puts them over the top and the mighty Braves are now the favorites to overtake the mets.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That no-name prospect was the co-player of the year in the Appy League last year and had 37 RBI at Class A Rome this year, but he's a catcher and the Braves should be well set there for a long time.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

With McCann entrenched there now, and Salty on his way up ... I'd say so. Middle infield and pitching are going to be their biggest worry spots for the next few years.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Jarrod has had an awful year this season.

7. prhack

prhack Member

Sarcasm aside, the Mets should be begging for the Braves (or anybody else) to get hot and save them from the spanking they're almost certain to receive in the World Series this year ;D

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you. :D

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow... I can predict the future!
    (I will win millions of dollars in the lottery... I will win millions of dollars in the lottery....I will win ...)

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Nine of their last 11. 7-2 on the road trip.

4.5 games out of the wildcard.

I'm just saying.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I am BEGGING the Braves to bolt right past the wild card and on to the Mets' tails. That team (the Mets) will fold like a house of cards if anyone puts even a little pressure on them.

Unlikely, I know. But a guy can hope.

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

There's only one reason I want the Braves to win either the wildcard or the division -- so no one will ever again be dumb enough to start one of these threads in May.

Draft saved Draft deleted