1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Boston Celtics (1946-2007)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The losing streak is now at 15 and 20 or more is not out of the realm of possibility, especially considering the brutal west coast trip they take in two weeks. It's an absolute shame to see this happen to one of sports' greatest franchises. I can't imagine a worse team in the NBA.

What the hell happened to put Boston in this situation? You can't blame it on Len Bias. You can't blame it on Rick Pitino. You have to look at the current management and assign blame there.

What's even sadder is that even with the likelihood of Boston landing Durant or Oden, there are still way too many holes to fill before this team can be competitive. The tradition is gone. I can't imagine players wanting to come to Boston anymore, and that is the greatest tragedy.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

"Larry Bird is not walking through that door, fans. Kevin McHale is not walking through that door, and Robert Parish is not walking through that door. And if you expect them to walk through that door, they're going to be gray and old. What we are is young, exciting, hard-working, and we're going to improve. People don't realize that, and as soon as they realize those three guys are not coming through that door, the better this town will be for all of us because there are young guys in that (locker) room playing their asses off." He continued, "I wish we had $90 million under the salary cap. I wish we could buy the world. We can't; the only thing we can do is work hard, and all the negativity that's in this town sucks. I've been around when Jim Rice was booed. I've been around when (Carl) Yastrzemski was booed. And it stinks. It makes the greatest town, greatest city in the world, lousy. The only thing that will turn this around is being upbeat and positive like we are in that locker room... and if you think I'm going to succumb to negativity, you're wrong. You've got the wrong guy leading this team."

3. Uncle_buck

Uncle_buck Member

Don't give up on the Celtic! Give up on the coach? Yes but not the players. There is a good young, energetic nucleus there and a number of trade packages they might be able to put together in the summer. With the Celtics heading for the Durant/Oden lottery things are looking up. There is a light at the end of the tunnel

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

That light is the Green Line T emerging from Kenmore Square. Get out of the way. Now.

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

They seem to have some decent players, which is the strange thing, but I don't follow the NBA all that much.

The turning point came when the Celtics lost the draft lottery (and Tim Duncan) and took Chauncey Billups, and quickly gave up on him. Of course, the three firstr-rounders they had one year - Joe Johnson, Joe Forte and someone else I forget, but the Celts got nothing from them, either. Every year a new direction .... at least in personnel.

6. Uncle_buck

Uncle_buck Member

Ouch that's as maybe but you know what I'm gonna take my chances.....

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As a lifelong Lakers fan .... Boo freakin' hoo.

Mark Heisler summed it up nicely in his Sunday column in the L.A. Times:

“No one likes to see anyone in the Boston Celtics’ predicament, so there was a common reaction to their club-record 14-game losing streak: ‘Anyone have a cigar?’

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

FWIW, I've never seen Uncle_buck, RAMBO and COCKDIAN in the same place...

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Players will go where the money is. Winning tradition has nothing to do with it.

I don't follow pro hoops that much, but it seems the Celtics have progressively gone backward under Ainge. How does he remain employed?

And since I don't like the Lakers any more, I don't take any great glee in the Celtics' 15-game losing streak. though I always like seeing some history, so a 20- or 25-game skid would be awesome.

And hey, aren't the Celts still only like 2 1/2 back in the Atlantic?

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I thought they would miss Paul Pierce the moment he got hurt, but there's no excuse for this.

11. Uncle_buck

Uncle_buck Member

As a newbie I'm gonna have to plead ignorance to that one. Is that a compliment an veiled insult or what?

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Because he's the Matt Millen of the NBA. And apparently the Grousbecks not as bright as everyone thought they were. They make everyone yearn for the Thanksdad era.

The year Ainge was hired, the Celtics had managed to get to the conference finals thanks to Jim O'Brien and Chris Wallace.

Draft saved Draft deleted