1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bobby Thomson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Why not?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't know, it would be like rubbing it in.

Like I only wanted his autograph on a ball that Thomson had already signed.

Now, since Branca was heavily involved in BAT, he probably would have signed it, but still, if I have a choice -- and I did -- I'm going with Branca first.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I noticed that after I posted it. It was 18 feet high. The ballpark site that I had found had listed it as 10 feet. My apologies.

The rule on gloves on the field changed in 1954, so there were gloves on the field in 1951.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_year_did_baseball_outfielders_start_carrying_their_baseball_gloves_into_the_dugout_instead_of_leaving_them_on_the_field

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

At the 43-second mark of the video Leo clearly picks up a glove that was left near the third-base coaches box. He even puts it on as the video continues, and you can also see that Broklyn third baseman Billy Cox still has his glove as he leaves the field. Also, Leo's hat is back on his head as he and Stankey celebrate.

Since Thomson played 3B that day, I'm drawing the conclusion that was Thomson's glove.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I wonder how many times a defender tripped over an opposing player's glove back in those days. I also wonder how many times an opposing player picked up an opponent's glove and tossed it out near the wall or warning track just to mess with him. I'm gonna ask those questions after I die, along with who really killed JFK.

Draft saved Draft deleted