1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bobby Rhine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Sep 6, 2011.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

He was at UConn the same time I was there as a student. From all accounts, both in college and beyond, a great guy.

FRISCO, Texas (AP) — Bobby Rhine, who played for FC Dallas in its formative days as the Dallas Burn before calling the team’s games on TV, has died. He was 35.
    The team announced Rhine’s death Tuesday. FC Dallas said he died Monday night.
    Rhine was the sixth overall pick in the 1999 draft and played through 2008. He played more than 12,000 minutes of 212 games, including 136 starts. He had the fourth-most assists in franchise history with 34 and eighth-most goals with 23.
    Clark Hunt, chairman of the club’s ownership group, said the organization would miss Rhine’s passion and positive spirit. Rhine tweeted last week that he was looking forward to “some beach time” during his first weekend without a telecast since April.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Sad news. He was indeed a great player at UConn.

3. A spectacularly nice guy. When I started covering FC Dallas two years ago knowing little to nothing about soccer, he was extremely helpful about educating me. Always smiling, even when he'd come out to practice in 105-degree heat wearing long sleeves. Fun to be around and very passionate about the game, about his club, about his new career in broadcasting -- he did a really good job on the FCD telecasts.

This news was just stunning to all of us with a connection to FC Dallas. Geez, the guy was in great shape. He just retired as a player in 2008 and looked like he probably could have come out of the booth to give FCD a good 90 minutes. I've received a lot of calls from some absolutely devastated people today. It hit a lot of us very hard.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A tremendous loss for FC Dallas. Truly the face of the franchise. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted