1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bobby Murcer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jul 12, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

That may be my first vivid baseball memory. I remember the day it happened my mom telling me and me storming out of the house and going to sit on the wall along the driveway by myself. I wasn't a Yankee fan, but I was five years old and I couldn't comprehend an athlete dying.

A night or two later, my dad and I were watching the pre-game ceremony and the camera caught an Oriole player crying. "Why are they crying?" I asked my dad. "Because they're sad Thurman Munson died," he said.

Blew. My. Mind.

Then Murcer has the game of a lifetime in honor of his best friend. Unbelievable.

He always seemed to be a kind and thoughtful man, two qualities not always in abundance in the game he played/covered. I imagine there won't be a lot of dry eyes at the Stadium at some point Tuesday. RIP.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I got his autograph back when he played for the Toledo Mud Hens. He sort of looped the "M" in his last name like Mantle did, if I remember correctly.

3. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

So tragic. A baseball game never sounded more enjoyable to my ears than when Bobby was calling the game. Now he's up with the Scooter, having a canoli or two in the big Press Box in the Sky.

I hope they do something nice for him at the ASG Tuesday.

PS - Even though this picture isn't exactly how I remember Bobby from back in the '90s, it's the best shot of him: smiling.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wow that sucks- I remember when I took my first dip of Skoal -inspired by Skoal dippin man - Bobby Murcer.

5. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Let me say this. Murcer's playing career was fine, but what really matters in my mind is that he was a wonderful human being, friendly and accessible in a clubhouse that wasn't always easy. That's what I prefer remembering about Murcer.

And one other thing. I am so glad we in the NY chapter of the BBWAA presented him with an award last February. He attended and was so grateful, he had the audience in tears.

RIP to a nice, nice man who was respectful to everyone.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

RIP to Murcer.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

He was my favorite player as a kid. He seemed a bit grouchy the one time I met him -- it would have been 1980, the year after Munson died, or possibly 1981 -- but he could have just been having a bad day.

Draft saved Draft deleted