1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bob Watson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, May 15, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Scored the 1 millionth run in major league history.
    Had one decent season with the Yankees of my youth.
    Said, "C'mon, let the kids play!" in the Bad News Bears in Breaking Training.

RIP

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Got a short mention in Ball Four as call-up who got injured trying to catch Bouton’s knuckleball.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Nooooooo! Not Bull!

First black GM to win a World Series.

RIP.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

He was a darn good hitter, but if his career wasn’t spent in the Astrodome and a righty in Yankee stadium, he’s probably remembered as a lot better player.

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity: I looked up his splits
    Home
    Avg: .288
    Ops: .783
    HR: 67
    R: 356

Away
    Avg: .302
    Ops: .873
    HR: 117
    R: 446

also, his best numbers overall came in his half season in Boston.

so, you are correct!

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

One of my favorite trivia questions (and I think I've posted it on this board before) is: Who scored the 999,999th run, and the 1,000,001st?

8. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

As a 37-year old in 1983 when the Braves were trying to defend their division championship, he had one of the best clutch-hitting seasons I've ever seen. Pinch-hitting in 30 games, he hit .407 and slugged .704. As a starter and PH, he hit .435 with two out and RISP.

He was probably the one player whose coverage drove home for me the difference between media aimed at the serious fan and the casual one. Very good player for a long time in Houston; if you read the Sporting News or followed an NL team, you certainly were familiar with him. When he went to Boston and the Yankees in his mid-30s, it was like the Game of the Week announcers had just discovered him.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

No clue. But Watson got 1 million tootsie rolls.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That would be Claudell Washington with No. 999,999 and Dave Concepcion with 1,000,001. Concepcion hit a homer off Phil Niekro and sprinted around the bases to try to score the millionth run but crossed the plate seconds after Watson had scored in San Francisco.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

Claudell Washington, Bob Watson and Dave Concepcion would have been a pretty good anchor for a team if you were trying to put one together in 1975.

12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Bob Watson and Larry Dierker were my favorite Astros, growing up in Houston in the '60s. 'The Bull' did have good power and really could have thrived in a hitter friendly park. Also props for his role with the Yankees' World Series championship season in 1996. Later worked in MLB. Career baseball guy, personable. Now I guess I need to Google Art Howe.

3_Octave_Fart and cyclingwriter2 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted