1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bob Sheppard

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jul 11, 2010.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

A piece of my childhood and a piece of Yankees history has passed. It is a sad day.

http://www.wcbs880.com/Bob-Sheppard--Voice-of-Yankee-Stadium--Dies/7661907

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What a classy, dignified voice. RIP.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

How every PA announcer should sound. Dignified, perfect voice. RIP.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sheppard in person was as gracious as his voice was dignified. A sad day indeed.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

In addition to the magnificent voice, a dignified gentleman who always had a smile on his face and a good word for everyone he met.
    RIP to a true New York legend.

An interesting coincidence: Sheppard's first year as Yankees announcer as 1951, Mickey Mantle's rookie year. Bob and the Mick both were born on Oct. 20.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

RIP to a legend.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He taught speech at, correct me if I'm wrong, St. John's. I always imagined how his voice would have made even the biggest slacker pay attention.

RIP to a New York icon.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I walked out of church 20 minutes ago to see the news on my BlackBerry.

The Voice of God.

There's nothing else to say.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sadly, he never made it to the new Yankee Stadium, although he probaby would have been appalled by the excessively loud music and canned chaeering that never stops.

His voice will live on because Derek Jeter long ago requested that a tape of Sheppard introducing him always be played when he comes to bat.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He and John Wooden both died just short of 100. One of our local high school baseball PA guys (who is an English teacher) models his style after Sheppard. Always thought that was very cool.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I was fortunate enough to make it to old Yankee astadium and hear The Voice of God. RIP

12. Now entering heaven (insert echo here)...BOB(insert echo here)...SHEPPARD(insert echo here)!!!!

RIP to the voice of Yankee Stadium.

Draft saved Draft deleted