1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bob Probert

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jul 5, 2010.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Real tough guy and a pretty good hockey player. Played hard, partied hard.
    R.I.P Bob Probert.

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Domi WAS a midget, except for his gigantic, Easter Island monument head.

Whoever compared Probert to John Kordic, that's kinda off the mark. They both fought a lot in the NHL and they're both dead, but Probert was a much more accomplished player.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I grew up in the old Norris Division and went to about 20 games a year when Probert was at his peak.

Probert was far, FAR more than a goon (and I wanted to see him get his a$$ kicked every time the Wings came to town). Decent skater, good passer and could bury the loose puck home.

Best of all, on those Detroit teams of the late 80s/early 90s, you watched two players: Yzerman and Probert.

Mitch Albom takes a lot of shots on here - many of them deserved - but his Freep column on Probert and his demons was outstanding.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

That was me, and I don't think I was off the mark.

Kordic wasn't in Probert's class as a player, and I acknowledged that Probert was the more talented of the two. Although Kordic managed to win a Memorial Cup, a Calder Cup and a Stanley Cup during his career. But I digress.

Anyway, Probert, at his worst, was just as self-destructive as was Kordic. And now he's just as dead. That's the point I'm trying to make. Sorry if that offends anyone, but it's true.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I doubt Kordic was as integral a part of any of those teams as Probert was during his best days with the Wings. Think anybody even looked sideways at Yzerman when Probert was out there? I don't think Kordic ever had that kind of reputation.

RIP to the best hockey fighter of my lifetime and a damn good player who scored the last goal at Maple Leaf Gardens.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That was a great story. Here's Steve Simmons on Probert:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/steve_simmons/2010/07/05/14619626.html

8. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

RIP, Probie.

No matter how much he screwed up, folks here in Detroit still loved him because he was the quintessential blue-collar guy from just across the river in Windsor. He seemed like he always bounced back from his screw-ups with an "aw, shucks" attitude.

He was way, way too young to go.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP to a guy who kicked ass.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I was just thumbing through some Probert photos at Freep.com and there was one from 2007 with Vladimir Konstantinov. Vlady is in a walker.... what progress that guy has made. I hope that drunk driver is still in jail somewhere.

11. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I was curious, too. The Michigan Department of Corrections has no record of Richard Gnida, the drunken driver, on its offender information website (OTIS).

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I hope he learned his lesson and emerged as a more productive member of society.

Draft saved Draft deleted