1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Bob Oates

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoCalDude, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Well, then, disregard what I posted as it pertained (mistakenly) to Oates. Hey, I f---ed up, I trusted Birdscribe. ;) Have to admit, I tend to have a knee-jerk reaction these days when I see the word "purge" associated with respectable, hard-working journalists.

But I have a statute of limitations, too, I guess. Can't get too worked up for you if you've reached your legal retirement age and -- given everything we see and know about this industry -- you haven't gotten a belly full of it, to the point of exiting on your own terms. Role models have a responsibility to lead, at whatever age. Not saying this relates to Mr. Oates at all. Just saying that I don't muster much outrage when the person getting "purged" is in position to go relatively unscathed. Doesn't make it right, but there are a lot of people getting forced out of this business who go quite scathed (needing jobs for mortgages, groceries, kids' school, medical coverage).

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I worked with Bob a couple of times directly, including my first big assignment after joining the Times, working at the Doug Williams Super Bowl in San Diego. Just a very nice man, and one of the most analytical writers about pro football ever. Even though he was of a different era, he did what I've always advocated -- he didn't just tell you what happened, he told you why.

And yes, while the timing did coincide with the Cereal Killer -- as did my departure, by the way -- I think leaving at 80 (even if gently suggested) was a fair deal and not really a great example of all that has become wrong with the business in the past 15 years.

Anyway, we have plenty of those.

RIP, Bob.

Draft saved Draft deleted