1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bob Kuechenberg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 13, 2019.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I didn't see the pads at first. That's what made me realize.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Boy, that was football, wasn't it? Non-fat mobile pulling offensive linemen tasked with ripping open holes for guys like Csonka to run through. I know it may make me sound like a curmudgeon, but I so prefer that brand of football to the totally pass/QB centric version of today.

misterbc, Bronco77 and maumann like this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Add the Raiders of Stabler/Otto/Biletnikoff/Casper/Branch/Sistrunk/Ted Hendricks. Three almost evenly matched powerhouses in Miami, Oakland and Pittsburgh.

Yes, the undefeated 1972 Dolphins were lucky to play in the AFC East, caught the Steelers one week after the Immaculate Reception and played a mediocre Redskins team in the Super Bowl.

But that team was consistently excellent from the time Don Shula showed up until the WFL raided them. Collectively, they aren't remembered as well as the Raiders and Steelers of that era -- maybe because they didn't have as many characters (or charisma, as Michael put it) -- but Miami was well-coached, extremely talented and executed the game plan as well as any team during the early 1970s. The AFC champion had to beat Miami, plain and simple.

Batman, Bronco77 and Stoney like this.
  4. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Interesting to speculate whether that team could have won another few Super Bowls if Csonka, Kiick and Warfield hadn't gone to the WFL. Maybe not, because the Steelers' dynasty was on the rise and they were pretty overwhelming. Between the Steelers, Dolphins and Raiders, the AFC was really stacked at that time.

maumann likes this.
  5. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Nick Buoniconti could hold his own with any MLB of that era and almost any in NFL history. He was dominant for both Dolphins and Patriots and was a treat to watch.

maumann likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I didn't realize he was in pads either. The way the picture in the OP is cropped, it kind of looks like he's got a collared polo shirt on.

typefitter likes this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I watched the 1973 Super Bowl between the undefeated Dolphins and the Redskins about five years ago. It was utter dreck.

You are fooling yourself if you think that product is better than today's product.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

easily the worst Hall of Fame QB there is. It's a joke that he's in Canton

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

No one has worn those neck guards since probably the 80s. Then they went to those rectangle ones that Bryan Cox wore.

Draft saved Draft deleted