1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bob Kuechenberg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Starting guard for the undefeated 1972 Dolphins and grumpy old man for many years after that. He was 71.

maumann likes this.
  2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Should have been in the Hall of Fame decades ago.

Also, he looked about 71 when he was playing.

Stoney, Bronco77, garrow and 2 others like this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

On the other side from Larry Little and Norm Evans. Still remember them blowing open big holes for Csonka, Kiick and Mercury Morris. Back when the Orange Bowl still had artificial turf and a real dolphin in a tank. They trained for a time at St. Andrews School in Boca Raton. My brother and I would ride out bikes on a two-lane road and watch practices.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Just you watch -- Senior Committee makes him one of the two finalists next year and he goes in.

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

They likely will. Baseball and Football halls love the “let’s throw a party now that they are dead” routine.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I literally just realized the photo in the OP is from his playing days. I just assumed it was from a reunion.

Batman likes this.
  8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Guys usually go to reunions in full pads?

10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Met him about 20 years ago when he was having lunch in a restaurant in Fort Lauderdale. I was wary about approaching him because of his curmudgeon reputation, but my wife promptly introduced herself and he couldn't have been nicer. He also wasn't shy about sharing a few strong opinions about the state of the Dolphins of that era.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Should be in the Hall. But any time one of those Dolphins passes, it should remind us how great they were. In their three Super Bowl years, they were 44-6-1. Pretty dominant. Bad luck to be between two more charismatic dynasties, the Lombardi Packers and Noll Steelers.

Bronco77 and maumann like this.
  12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is not an exaggeration. This is how I remember him:

[​IMG]

Yet he was one helluva player. One of the toughest linemen ever to play. As others noted, probably should be in the HOF.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted