1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bob Gibson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Oct 2, 2020.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I didn't know he played his final six seasons with the Browns, as a part-timer. Averaged about .330 in that span. I'm not sure he was ever a very likeable player, though.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I thought about mentioning Medwick as well. And you can add Frankie Frisch to that list as well.

And if you factor in managers: Red, Whitey, LaRussa; Gibson could fall outside the top 10.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, he did call Jimmy Dugan a talking pile of pigshit after Jimmy’s parents had driven a long way to see him play.

maumann likes this.
  4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Geez, the contrarians take over, as usual. The longer this thread goes, the more Gibson becomes a POS. Nobody wanted to bat against him. That made him one of the greatest of all-time. Nobody wanted to bat against Nolan Ryan, that made him one of the greatest of all-time regardless of what Bill James and Buzzie Bavasi thought.

maumann, HanSenSE, mpcincal and 2 others like this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The hard thing is, measuring the greatness of a once-every-four-day player against the greatness of an everyday player.

Gibson, who appeared in about 1/4 of his teams games, is unquestionably the Cardinals' greatest pitcher. But there were 115-120 games every year where he contributed nothing.

But guys who played every day - Musial, Brock, Pujols, etc. - had far more impact on the franchise, I believe.

And that's why I don't think pitchers should ever be MVPs. Starters play in 1/5 of the games, closers in 1/2, at the most. Other's mileage may vary, of course.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Grew up in Missouri as a Cardinals fan in a family of Cardinals fans. Musial and Gibson were just a bit before my time — I was 7 when Gibson retired — and I still have him No. 2 behind Musial, at least on the list of post-WWII Cardinals players. For me that top 5 would be:

1. Musial
    2. Gibson
    3. Ozzie
    4. Molina
    5. Brock

With Pujols atop the “others receiving votes” list.

maumann and Liut like this.
  7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

It's the "in-thing" to do. As you are already aware, of course. Sort of like having a hot, "funny" take on the politics thread.

8. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

nope. Was a well-known jerk and kept to himself quite often.

i love that he would never go see movies or read books because he believed that he would harm his eye sight.

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

After Game 1 Dick McAuliffe said: “I was awed. I was AWED.”
    Willie Horton was asked who Gibson reminded him of: “Nobody. Never seen anybody like him.”

misterbc and maumann like this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I always love Hornsby’s quote about how during the wintertime, he tells people that all he does is sit at the window and wait for spring.

I like to imagine he’s sitting in a log cabin somewhere in the woods. He wakes up, dresses, eats breakfast, sits at the window staring at the snow-covered woods on a gray day until lunchtime. Then stares out the window until dark. Dinner, then bed.

Splendid Splinter likes this.
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The ‘68 WS, the losing teams combined to score 10 runs in 7 games.

maumann likes this.
  12. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

great book about the man.

Draft saved Draft deleted