1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Bob Forsch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Nov 4, 2011.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Here's a link to the St. Louis P-D story:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/cardinals-pitcher-forsch-dies-at-age/article_bdfb18cc-06f5-11e1-a7f4-001a4bcf6878.html

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP to a good pitcher.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Forsch pitched the first no-hitter I listened to on the radio, in 1983. RIP.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think he started game 1 of the first WS I really remember, against Mike Caldwell - I guess Vukovich & Andujar weren't available until later in the series. RIP. Did he ever pitch on the same team as his brother? Kind of odd that he & Alou died in such close proximity, not that many brother sets of MLers.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He threw out the first pitch before Game 7.

6. dieditor

dieditor Member

Really sad...he was the workhorse of some pretty awful Cardinal teams in the late 70s, and was by all accounts a good guy. RIP.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

IIRC, aren't the Forsches the only set of brothers to each have a no-hitter?

8. joe

joe Active Member

Forsch pitched at the first baseball game I ever saw live, 1974 or '75, in Busch II. I was 7 or 8 at the time.

Too young at 61.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Always liked Bob Forsch. RIP.

10. That is correct, according to the AP story I read.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Rotation of the Cards in 1978: Bob Forsch, John Denny, Pete Vuckovich, Silvio Martinez, Pete Falcone.

Very young team other than Lou Brock, who was riding the pine by that time. Also couldn't hit for shit and teams kept pitching around Ted Simmons, the only real stick in the lineup. The offense was much better the following year (Keith Hernandez won co-MVP).

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

But Forsch could hit. He was at a Rick Rhoden/Doc Gooden level for a hitting pitcher.

He did start Game 1 in 1982. Was shelled and didn't get a win in the series. Yet Forsch was a workhorse on that team.

Looking over the 82 roster, I am amazed Bob Forsch is gone but Lonnie Smith, Keith Hernandez and Joaquin Andujar are still ticking. If Darrell Porter were still alive, I would go do a line every day and expect to live to 100.

Draft saved Draft deleted