1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bob Costas at NBC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Jan 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If he did, he likely talked over it fawning over Mickey Mantle or presenting his plans to go back to a 154-game schedule. And it got worse when he took over for Marv on NBA broadcasts.

Tirico was such a breath of fresh air during the Winter Olympics.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Pretty far from the worst of his kind.
    I watched him do Game 3 of the Brewers-Rockies series and he made it more interesting than it actually was.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

This.

In 1988, my prized possession was the Sony ICF 2010 shortwave radio. On a clear night, I could pull pretty much all of the Central and Midwest Division teams of the NBA.

On those Sunday nights, Costas Coast to Coast was my sad farewell to each weekend, with the hell of middle school awaiting me in 12 hours.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You and me both. Live from Runyon’s. As your typical adolescent boy I wasn’t too keen on showers or baths, but soon realized the best way to be able to listen to this show was to drag the radio into the bathroom and crank the bath water. It was the perfect compromise - my mother got a not smelly 12-year-old and I got Costas’ interview with Mickey Mantle.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    wicked likes this.
  6. 3_Octave_Fart

I'm old enough to remember his very short-lived late night talk show.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He did Later for six years.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

Then there is old age kicking in, Dan. I'd thought it was on a year at most.
    I don't think it was the success anyone at the top imagined.
    I am a Costas fan, saw him speak in college and he was terrific.
    Always thought Tony Kubek was one of the great underrated color men as well.

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I interviewed him in Jacksonville when he was hosting what was then the TPC.
    Later had just started
    After my interview, Costas asked me if I had seen the show
    I said yes and mentioned one with Steven Wright
    He said: “Oh, that was awful.
    “I was trying to get him to go out of character but that’s they was he really is.”

TowelWaver likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You weren't thinking of the Pat Sajak show were you? Later is still on. After Costas left, Greg Kinnear took over and then eventually it became a Carson Daly thing.

11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Kubek did color for the Blue Jays for awhile
    Terrific guy

Iron_chet and 3_Octave_Fart like this.
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I never saw the Kinnear version, oddly, but I loved the Costas version. (And while I don't love Carson Daly or anything, even that was a sometimes interesting 30-minute music showcase.) I'd enjoy if he did some version of that again, since there kind of isn't a Costas / Tom Snyder / Craig Ferguson "let's just talk for 20 to 30 minutes sometimes!" show on late night, but I also realize that podcasts have kind of dominated that sort of arena now.

Draft saved Draft deleted