1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bill Walsh

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That AP story was well-crafted.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Here's a list someone put up on our site:

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Sending my RIP as well.

I grew up a Rams fan, but believe or not, I grew to root for the 49ers too because of Walsh and his style of play. And the fact, they kept the Cowboys out of the Super Bowl back in 1982 had something to do with it too.

The L.A. Times ran an article on him on the sports front two or three months ago, and it was after reading that story that I knew he didn't have a lot of time left. So I find this sad but not shocking.

BTW, any Bengals fans reading that Times story had to be killing themselves wondering what might have been: It mentioned about Walsh being passed over for the Cincinnati coaching job in favor of Homer Rice in the late 1970s, and I believe Walsh mentioned that Paul Brown actually tried to blackball him from any head coaching jobs in the NFL.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I was a Redskins fan during that time, putting Walsh on my "he'll never have to pay for a drink in my presence list," though I did follow the other team of the 1980s.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As I recall, the recent SI story on Walsh talked about this too.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

i spoke to bruce coslet, another walsh disciple, this afternoon. on the "west-coast offense" stuff, he talked about how walsh hated that moniker, saying, "yeah, the west-coast offense was born on the north bank of the Ohio River." :eek: 8) ::)

sorry, bengals fans. paul brown blew this one.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Better the West Coast offense than that "finesse" bullshit. I hated that crap in the 80s.

8. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

The inscription written by Coach Walsh reads...

For (Highway) —

A fine sports writer.

Be kind to the coaches.

Bill Walsh

The Book Finding the Winning Edge was a Christmas gift from my mother in my freshman year of college and has remained among my coffee table books along with Rice, Silver Knight, and Rare Air.

I thank my Mom for grabbing one of the five autographs I desired since I knew the difference between offsides and a false-start.

To go back even further, I remember watching many 49ers games while sitting in my Dad's lap while he caught a weekend snooze. I remember scaring my cat half-to-death when John Taylor caught the TD. I remember Dad fiddling with the camping Coleman BBQ on his first tailgate for us kids.

There are a lot of memories associated with Coach Walsh.

I will miss him.

Rest in Peace, Coach Genius.

Hwy

9. etsuwes

etsuwes Member

When I was a little kid the 49ers were my team. Even though I grew up in rural Tennessee where we didn't get many SF games due to the Redskins and Cowboys, at that time, I was a big fan of Walsh's system with Joe Montana as quarterback. Walsh's passing has been expected for sometime, but it's still a very sad day as a football fan. RIP Coach.

10. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

A great loss for the football world. Walsh will always be known for perfecting the West Coast offence and he made Montana, Rice, Young et al the stars that they were in that era.

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted