1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bill Stewart

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, May 21, 2012.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

CBS Sports' Brett McMurphy tweeted that West Virginia announced former coach Bill Stewart died of a heart attack during a golf function.

Link from the Charleston, W. Va., paper: http://wvgazette.com/Sports/201205210072

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A mediocre head coach who didn't deserve the three-ring circus that erupted when WVU shoved him towards the exit. Always prefer to think of the pure joy on his face when he was carried off after winning the Fiesta. RIP

4. He was playing golf with former AD Ed Pastilong at Stonewall Resort.

It didn't sound good from the word go. It was first reported he suffered a "pretty serious heart attack."

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have yet to see one that isn't serious. Covered his teams at VMI. Interesting guy. RIP

6. Never heard of a mild heart attack, huh?

From initial reports it sounds like he died at the scene.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes. I have heard of one. Doesn't meant it isn't serious. Just isn't usually fatal.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

All heart attacks are serious. My dad just had a couple "minor" ones (and is doing OK, thankfully).

Anyway, RIP. dixiehack said it best.

9. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

Doctors said my father's enzyme levels showed he was about as close as he could be to having a heart attack without having one, and they found a third blockage during his bypass surgery. So I never want a mild one, a close one, a serious one or anything related to one, although I'm sure I'll probably have one. All of them suck.

RIP. More than one tweet says Stewart was pretty upbeat guy and, as Moddy said, interesting.

10. Roscablo

Roscablo Member

I was at that Fiesta Bowl whipping of Oklahoma and it was quite fun to watch. It may have been an impulse to name him coach, but the players obviously loved him at that point. Whether he panned out or not, what a terrible thing. RIP.

11. The rumor - which i suspect is more true than not - is after the OU whipping, Ed P, Joe Manchin (then Gov.) and a handful of other big boosters were hanging out in the hotel room drinking and decided to give Stew Daddy the job. He was summoned up to their room about 3:30 a.m. and promoted.

He woulda had a better image among WVU fans had he not bad-mouthed Holgerson, anonymously, to a number of WVU beat writers after he had been pushed out the door.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He was already doing recon on Holgerson before he was pushed out the door. He saw the handwriting on the wall and went to the dark side.

That said, he won 9 games every year, I believe (correct me if I am wrong; no checking) and he did a credible job after RichRod. That has to count for something with that fan base, even if they were maybe expecting even more.

And yes, he was a fairly well-liked guy. In general, and you got the sense that his players liked him too. Genuinely.

Draft saved Draft deleted