1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Bill Robinson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Sad news about the former ML player, best known for his time with Phillies and Pirates in the '70s. Later coached, most notably for the Mets.

A wonderful, classy guy.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070729&content_id=281800&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Dang... RIP

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Hitting coach for the '86 Mets juggernaut and one of the very classy people in the game.

Very sad. RIP

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sad news R.I.P. I remember Bill as late bloomer. Came up in mid 60's but really did not hit his stride until mide to late 70's

He was traded to the Yankees by the Braves for the beloved Clete Boyer in 1966. It was a time when the Yankees were looking for the next Mickey Mantle and Robinson was heralded as such. I think he felt a lot of pressure as a result and failed

I liked him with Yankees and was glad to that he turned it around.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Was coach with the Expos for a brief time - actually, hired in October, then Jeffrey Loria took over the Marlins, and took the Expos' entire coaching staff with him, leaving the Expos and Omar Minaya to pick guys without jobs on the first day of spring training to fill in. But that's another story.

When I later ran into him, noticing my Burberry knapsack, he offered to take me to a warehouse right near his New Jersey home that was chock-full of the stuff, and where he knew a guy.

Seemed a bit fishy, so I didn't go. But nice as hell of him to offer. Always gracious to me in subsequent encounters, even though he had barely made my acquaintance. RIP.

6. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Casty, any thoughts?

I met Bill when he was managing the Reading Phillies in the mid-90s. Nice guy.

He'll be forever immortalized in this photo:
    [​IMG]

RIP.

7. wonderful guy

very sad to hear this

rest in peace, Robby

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

He was one of the early analysts on Baseball Tonight back in the day, wasn't he?

9. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Yes, a wonderful guy to talk to. He always made a point of saying don't call me a hitting coach, I'm a batting instructor.

I got the call from Marty Noble this morning telling me. Apparently, Bill was a roving minor league batting instructor for the Dodgers and was found dead in his hotel room in Las Vegas.

He'll be missed by a lot of people who knew him as a classy individual.

Draft saved Draft deleted