1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bill Nunn, famed Steelers scout

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, May 7, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Had a stroke two weeks ago and died today at 89:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/05/07/Bill-Nunn-Jr-long-time-Steelers-scout-dies-at-89/stories/201405070182#ixzz314shhoRB

Fitting he would go on the eve of the NFL draft, as Nunn was the man largely responsible for Pittsburgh scouting and drafting HBCU players like L.C. Greenwood (Arkansas A&M), Mel Blount (Southern), Ernie Holmes (Texas Southern), John Stallworth (Alabama A&M) and Donnie Shell (South Carolina State).

Also was ME of the Pittsburgh Courier for a time.

RIP.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just finished reading a book about the rise of the Steelers in the '70s just as the city's economy was failing. Not many realize just how large a part Nunn played in the team's success, which was built largely upon superior scouting.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, Steak.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

One of my all-time favorite sports books is "Three Bricks Shy of a Load" by Roy Blount Jr., who ate, drank and lived with the Stillers in '73. Ironically, I gave my copy to a co-worker, a niece of Chuck Bednarik's who HATES the Eagles.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Imagine if he would have waited just one more year to write that book...

Lambert
    Swann
    Gilliam
    Stalworth

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, there is an updated version of the book with the original supplemented by articles he wrote about the team in the years that followed. "About Three Bricks Shy....And the Load Filled Up." That is the version I have. Great stuff.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I need to find that. Thanks

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

How about for 75 cents?

http://product.half.ebay.com/About-Three-Bricks-Shy-and-the-Load-Filled-Up-by-Roy-Jr-Blount-1989-Paperback/2144693&tg=info

Draft saved Draft deleted