1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bill "Moose" Skowron

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sad day for baseball. Not too many guys better than The
    Moose as a person.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120427&content_id=29776340&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Good guy.

First time I met him, I got his autograph, and was disappointment he signed it Bill, and not Moose.

Arranged a flight home for him once when he was in New York for Old Timer's Day, and his wife got sick. He was very appreciative.

RIP.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I remember hearing Moose awhile back when he appeared on the NPR show "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me." He was a scream.

The one line I remember was when he brought up the Yankees' "Three Ms -- Mickey, Maris and Moose. We might have had a few cocktails but not no steroids, that's for darn sure."

We'll miss ya, Moose.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Regular guy of regular guys . . . when he was hanging with Zimmer -- twin haircuts.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. YankeeFan

Times obit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/28/sports/baseball/bill-skowron-slugger-who-helped-yankees-win-7-pennants-dies-at-81.html?_r=1&hpw

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Smasher_Sloan

Moose's wife's name was Cookie. Perfect.

9. YankeeFan

Skowron Had a Knack for Making Memories

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

11. Smasher_Sloan

That was Kramer. He had to claim the inside of the plate against Joe Pepitone.

12. sportbook

sportbook Member

I am reading a really interesting memoir by Bobby Richardson that is releasing this fall. He had some great stories but one that I found most interesting is that when he was in the minors he took off over a week DURING THE SEASON to drive home and get married. The Yankees were also the last team of those playing at the time because the traveling secretary was afraid to fly.

Draft saved Draft deleted